One of the best things about the end of the year is the opportunity it gives us to reflect on the past, while we prepare for the year ahead. In the spirit of reflection, Facebook has released its summary of the world’s top moments and events that generated the most buzz in 2014.
Among the events was the most shared event in Facebook’s history, the World Cup tournament which brought together 350 million people around the globe as they followed the results of their favorite teams. Also in the top topics were Ebola, Brazilian elections, the death of comedian Robin Williams, ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, Israel-Gaza conflict, Malaysia Airlines, Super Bowl, Sochi Winter Olympics, and Ferguson.
Which events did you follow?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the importance of market research. What are sources that can be used? Why is tracking trends important?
- Bring up the site and show the video: http://yearinreview.fb.com/
- Divide students into teams and have each team examine a different Facebook topic.
- What are the trends from that topic?
- How can these trends be used to develop new products?
- Debrief the exercise by listing the ideas from each team.