We long for comfort and style in our dress. Sometimes the stylish fashions are not comfortable, but when it comes to socks, we can have both style and comfort now. Why settle for boring old dark dress socks when you can instead wear vibrant, colorful socks that express your personality and fashion sense?
Indeed, socks are booming right now. As people return to the office (and school), their clothing choices have changed. Comfort is more important the fancy dress. And not only have socks become fashionable, many companies also embrace a social mission with purchases.
For example, companies including Bombas and London Sock Co. donate socks for every purchase made. Company MERGE4 partnered with the San Diego Zoo on a special edition that gives back to wildlife conservancy. And, Cicada uses its socks to raise awareness of environmental issues such as ocean waste and animal poaching.
Socks are a way to make a statement without being garish. While these socks are more expensive than the mass-market white athletic socks, they are a low-cost way to stand out.
What’s on your feet?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Ask students to look at their feet. What are their socks? Athletic, dress, fashion?
- Show sock websites: Bombas: https://bombas.com/
- Cicada: https://www.cicadasocks.com/
- London Sock Co: https://www.londonsockcompany.com/
- Boardroom Socks: https://boardroomsocks.com/
- Merge4Socks: https://merge4.com/
- Divide students into teams. Have each team review a different website selling socks as well as the company’s social media presence.
- What is the messaging for each company?
- How can these sites be differentiated and marketed?
- Have each team develop a social media marketing campaign for their company.
Source: Ad Week; Footwear News