The wait is finally over! Apple has finally announced its highly anticipated smartwatch, joining current smartwatch vendors such as Pebble, Samsung, and Sony. The new product, named Apple Watch, includes health and fitness monitoring tools, along with many standard iPhone apps such as calendar, navigation, texting, and music. And don’t forget Siri – also available on the watch and eager to help you find movies, food, and answer questions. The smartwatch is, in essence, a mini computer that is strapped on a wrist and links to the wearer’s iPhone.
Apple Watch will be available in early 2015 and requires that the wearer use one of the recent iPhone models. The product will have a strong focus on health, including tracking statistics for exercise, movement, and heart rate. The watch is also stylish with six different types of straps including stainless steel and leather.
Pricing for Apple Watch will start at $350 and vary depending on the model. Overall though, sales of smartwatches have been lower than originally expected; 19 million smartwatches, low compared to 1.2 billion smartphones sales. Will this product increase the desire for smartwatches?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Show the video: http://youtu.be/ktujsc4ZUTo
- Bring up Apple’s Web site for additional product information: apple.com.
- Poll students about their attitudes about smartwatches. Why do they think sales are so low?
- Discuss the potential market for smartwatches and define several target markets.
- Divide students into teams. Have team select a target market for Apple Watch.
- Develop a campaign that will address consumers’ concerns about smartwatches.
Source: New York Times, Wall Street Journal, other news sources