Most of the time marketers target a specific group of consumers for their products and services. Marketers can target a consumer group using a number of factors including geography, demographics, lifestyle, attitudes, and behaviors. The key is to understand the consumer group for which the products are intended. The products have to show value and benefits; the company’s advertising has to show that the company understands the needs and desires of the consumer group.
Athletics is a very large consumer group. It can have professionals, amateurs, youth, mature, various sports, and more. Nike recently launched a new campaign to appeal to people who want to try new sports but fail at them, encouraging new athletes to not give up after a few fails. For this market, there are many existing products to sell, but the mindset is different. The “Play New” campaign showcases elite athletes and professionals trying a new sport that they don’t excel at – and shows them failing at it! The campaign will be paired with a full-body Snapchat augmented reality lens customized for yoga, dancing, surfing, and boxing. All are encouraging consumers to attempt something new and uncomfortable initially.
In addition to “Play New,” Nike also launched a new campaign (along with full athletic wear apparel) geared to pregnant women and new moms. New moms are of course cast as the “Toughest Athletes” and the commercial shows international moms-to-be and moms who are flexing their athletic and maternal abilities. Additionally, the campaign will contain four guided, motherhood workouts that will be part of the Nike Run Club app.
Nike seems to identify new markets and approaches at a high rate. What other approaches could it take?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Poll students: What are the target markets for Nike? (Did anyone mention pregnant women and new moms?)
- Show the Nike video for pregnant women: https://youtu.be/_-5MGkUwe6w
- Show the website for Nike Maternity wear: https://www.nike.com/maternity
- Video for “Play new” campaign: https://youtu.be/BUvEEVq4woU
- Why these two target markets?
- What else can Nike do to encourage buying from these consumers?
- What other new target markets could Nike sell to?
Source: Ad Week; other news sources