What makes a healthy brand? According to YouGov Brand Index, overall brand health takes into account “consumers’ perceptions of a brand’s quality, value, impression, satisfaction, reputation, and willingness to recommend the brand to others.”
Which brands are ranked the healthiest? There are few surprises in this year’s list. Here are the top brands across all categories:
The index also included ranks for various industries. For example, in airlines, Southwest ranked number one. Toyota topped the car category, and Dove topped the hair and skin care category.
Top brands with the best advertising awareness were also included. Leaders in this year’s list include Geico, McDonald’s, Verizon, AT&T, and Walmart. Brands that made the biggest awareness gains since 2016 include Uber, Blue Apron, Trivago, Dollar Shave Club, Lyft, Hulu, and Nintendo. Consumers value innovation and usefulness when evaluating brands. Each company on the list works hard to be the top in its category.
Which brands do you value and recommend to others?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Class discussion: What makes for a strong brand?
- What are favorite brands in the different industries such as automotive, appliances, cars, hotels, food, etc. (see the industry list on YouGov).
- Show the YouGov brand index: http://www.brandindex.com/ranking/us/2017-index
- Compare the students’ list with the rankings and discuss the findings.
- Now have students list brands that are weak or for which they have negative feelings.
- What could those brands do to improve their overall rankings?
Source: YouGov Brand Index, Brandchannel.com