Looking for a job can be intimidating and confusing. Companies (just like prospective employees) try to put their best foot forward to convince you that they are the best place for you to grow and deploy your talents. But, that is not always true. Working for a company that isn’t a good fit can be a miserable and negative experience for employees.
So, where should I job candidate look for information about a company? Try asking a companies’ current (and previous) employees for information. One such source for this type of information is the Employees’ Choice Awards from Glassdoor. These awards are based on the input from at least 75 employees at a company, and covers topics such as work environment, pay, and more. The list covers the best 100 companies to work for in 2019, as well as best cities for jobs, and highest paying jobs.
This year’s top companies to work for include:
- Bain & Company
- Zoom Video Communications
- In-N-Out Burger
- Procore Technologies
- Boston Consulting Group
- Southwest Airlines
Where do you want to work?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Suggestion: For this discussion, invite someone from the campus career services center to attend class and moderate the discussion.
- Discuss what makes a job and company rewarding. What companies are they interested in working at?
- Divide students into teams. Have each team develop a list of the 10 things they want from a job.
- Build the list on the white board. Where are the common themes?
- A brief video can be found at: https://youtu.be/s5BuPaNCbiE
- The full report is at: https://www.glassdoor.com/Award/Best-Places-to-Work-LST_KQ0,19.htm
- Give students time to explore the site and companies. Now, where are they interested in working?
Source: Protalinksi, E. (4 December 2018). Glassdoor: Zoom dethrones Facebook as the best tech company to work for in the U.S. Venture Beat.