Regardless of where one lives in the world, there is almost always someone who is less fortunate. While many people will donate to homeless people and panhandlers, many other people will not donate because they may not have cash, or may have concerns about how the money will be spent.
An innovative product is being tested by the homeless in Amsterdam and Rotterdam. The “helping heart” jacket has an embedded donation screen. The public can then simply tap a contactless card (debit or credit) and give a fixed one Euro donation. The donated funds are deposited into an account for the person and are redeemable at official homeless shelters. The donations can be used for food, shelter, sleep, showers, and more daily functions.
It is an interesting concept and use of wearable technology. One that ultimately changes lives, one at a time.
Have a heart.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss social responsibility with the class.
- What are some common concerns that students have about donating money to homeless people?
- Show the video: https://youtu.be/HGG46rKARzQ
- How does this solution address the problem?
- Are there other social problems that technology can help with?
- Challenge teams of students to design solutions to social problems.