No year-end review of social trends in 2015 would be complete without watching the top trending videos of 2015 on YouTube. Adding to the reflective spirit, YouTube’s year-end review includes the top trending views globally, top trending music videos, and the most popular videos across categories such as comedy, gaming, science, technology, beauty, fashion, sports, and more.
View these videos and consider the social trends that they started and the implications for marketing. Are these a preview of future trends, or have they already become passé? What will 2016 hold?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss YouTube’s appeal to viewers. Poll students: What do they watch, and why?
- Show Web site: https://www.youtube.com/user/theyearinreview
- Assign student teams to one of the categories of videos. Give each team 5 – 10 minutes to pick out what they consider to be the video that most influenced consumer trends in 2014.
- Next, have each team brainstorm on how to expand from the lifecycle of the trend.
- Debrief assignment by showing the top video from each category.