Everyone loves a cute animal video. Just look online – there are more than 1.5 million kitten videos posted! So, as 2015 draws to a close it seems only fitting that the most shared ad of the year seems to be Android’s “Friends Furever” with more than 21 million views and 6.4 million shares. (In the interest of full disclosure, I confess that this is one I have shared quite a few times with my family, friends and students.)
Video ad-tech firm, Unruly, measured and ranked the top videos. Rankings are based on the number of shares (not views) that the ads attracted across Twitter, Facebook, and other social platforms. (The rankings included only ads that launched in 2015; movie and TV show trailers were not included.)
Here are rankings for the top five video ads:
- Android – “Friends Furever” – 6.4M shares
- Disney – “Disney Characters Surprise Shoppers” – 3.9M shares
- Purina – “This man found his soulmate in a puppy” – 3.0M shares
- Roc by Ronaldo/Monster – “Christiano Ronaldo – People are going to think I’m crazy” – 2.9M shares
- Budweiser – “Super Bowl – Lost Dog” – 2.8M shares
Which ones have you shared?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Show some of the top ads:
Android Friends furever: https://youtu.be/vnVuqfXohxc
Lost Dog: https://youtu.be/xAsjRRMMg_Q
Love has no labels: https://youtu.be/PnDgZuGIhHs
- Discuss the elements that make these ads ones that people want to watch and share.
- Divide students into teams. Have each team discuss the videos that they have shared with friends. Why these videos?
- Discuss the importance of shareable videos to brand awareness and sales. Where does this fit into most marketing campaigns?
Source: Ad Age Daily, Unruly