It’s important for marketers to keep current on topics of interests and trends around the world. This research gives us a good idea of what people are thinking and what they like and need. What did the world search for in 2013? Well (besides our usual searches for love and the meaning of life), the citizens of the world used Google’s search engine to keep current on topics ranging from food to celebrities.
Google processes two-out-of-three Internet queries each day. These queries give marketers a good snapshot of trends around the world: 1,000 Top 10 lists from 72 countries. The 2013 top spot were queries about South African activist Nelson Mandela. In the area of technology, Apple and Sony made the Top 10, plus the dance phenomenon Harlem Shake! Global events and uplifting happenings also drive consumers’ interests. Take a look – did you search for any of the top topics?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the importance of market research. What are sources that can be used? Why is tracking trends important?
- Bring up the site and show the video: http://www.google.com/trends/topcharts
- Divide students into teams and have each team examine a different Top 10 List topic.
- What are the trends from that topic?
- How can these trends be used to develop new products?
- Debrief the exercise by listing the ideas from each team.