Have you tried riding an electric bicycle yet? If you have, you are part of a growing segment of bike riders who are enjoying the speed and fun of e-bikes. During the COVID-19 pandemic, consumers turned away from indoor gyms and moved in droves to outdoor recreation. Sales of e-bikes hit a record high in the U.S., with many new companies entering and competing for market share.
A recent study by Transparency Market Research estimated the global market valuation of e-bikes is expected to reach $95 billion by 2030. Consumers value e-bikes for their clean and energy-efficient transportation. Plus, e-bikes make commuting more fun, and far less sweaty than riding a traditional bicycle.
One of the latest entries into the e-bike market is from Harley-Davidson. Yes, you read this correctly – the famous HOG is powering a slower moving bike than its traditional motorcycles, but is bringing its reputation and engineering to the e-bike party. Serial 1 Cycles, powered by Harley-Davidson is a homage to its oldest-known motorcycle.
The product line consists of four models and ranges in price from $3,799 to $5,599. The maximum assist speed starts at 20 mph and increases to 28 mph for the top model. The special edition S1 MOSH/TRIBUTE is limited to 650 units worldwide. It features a removable battery integrated into the frame and has a mileage range up to 105 miles.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the importance of competitive analysis. (Relate this to SWOT analysis research.)
- Review the rise of the e-bike market. Why is this a growing industry? What are the risks?
- Show Harley-Davidson Serial 1 website: https://www.serial1.com/
- Show video of Harley-Davidson’s new e-bike: https://youtu.be/GzP-fwPJNxs
- Discuss competition: Who are the direct competitors for this product? Indirect competitors?
- Divide students into teams. Have each team compare Harley-Davidson’s e-bike with a competitive product. What are the points of difference (what makes this product different from competition)?
- Have teams describe the target market for the Harley-Davidson e-bike.
- Does Harley-Davidson’s target market differ from other e-bike companies?
Source: Forbes; The Verge; other news sources