No year-end review of social trends in 2018 would be complete without reflecting on the last 12 months, and watching the top trending videos of 2018 on YouTube.
Some of the top trends of 2018 have a short impact on society and trends, but many others have longer-lasting implications for companies and marketers. Among the most popular trends:
- Fortnite – one of the year’s most popular video games rose to #2 in watch time and views globally.
- Kylie Jenner revealed her pregnancy and the video became the #1 trending video of the year with more than 75 million views.
- SpaceX had 2.3 million people who watched its live stream of launching, and landing its rocket.
- The royal wedding’s live stream generated more than 11 million live views, setting a single day record in 2018.
- FIFA World Cup was one of the biggest global sporting events and the videos generated more than 300 million hours of watch time.
View these videos and consider the social trends that they started and the implications for marketing. Are these a preview of future trends, or have they already become passé?
What will 2019 hold for marketers?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss YouTube’s appeal to viewers. Poll students: What do they watch, and why?
- Show Web site: https://rewind.youtube/
- A list of top trending videos in multiple categories can be found at https://rewind.youtube/top-videos.
- Assign student teams to one of the categories of videos.
- Give each team 5 – 10 minutes to pick out what they consider to be the video that most influenced consumer trends in 2018.
- Next, have each team brainstorm on how to expand from the lifecycle of the trend.
- Debrief assignment by showing the top video from each category.