There are days when walking around the local shopping mall can seem like a walk amidst a ghost town. Is it due to the impact of online shopping? Or is it boredom with the same old retail experience? Are shopping malls dying?
To help shake up the routine mall experience, Cirque du Soleil is taking its show on the road and directly to consumers through a new concept called CREACTIVE, an indoor family entertainment experience. CREACTIVE will be installed in indoor centers and offer a variety of Cirque du Soleil activities such as bungee jumping, aerial parkour, wire and trampolines, juggling, dance, circus track activities, and more.
The new venture offers entertainment experiences that can help turn malls into more exciting destinations, and also fill the growing list of empty spaces that once held anchor tenants. Collaboration between the organization and retail spaces can help bring more consumers into the spaces, and help the retail spaces become more important to the families in their communities.
Is this the future of retail?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Poll students: How often do they go to a mall? What was their last experience at a mall?
- Show CREACTIVE in use at Club Med locations: https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/club-med-creactive
- Discuss the four primary marketing strategies: market penetration, market development, product development, and diversification.
- Which strategy is being used for the new CREACTIVE performances? Why?
- Divide students into teams. Have each team select one of the four different strategies and explain why that strategy could be used to market Cirque du Soleil in retail locations.
- Debrief the exercise.
Source: Cirque du Soleil is coming to shopping malls in 2019. (15 June 2018). Brandchannel.com