Who likes mayonnaise? Who likes ketchup? Who combines the two? If you are like millions of other consumers in the U.S., then you like combining the two products into a single sauce. And, now, Heinz wants to bring the combined taste to you in one convenient bottle!
Yes, a new condiment that combines the two sauces is being developed for the U.S. market. Heinz recently taunted consumers, asking people to vote using Twitter if they want to see a new product – ‘mayochup’ – in grocery stores. Millions of people voted yes for the mash-up, and Heinz has said it will produce a new sauce.
There is a controversy about mayochup though. Claims that Heinz has invented a new condiment has been disputed. Other countries have long used the combined condiment in their cultures and foods. A combination of mayo-ketchup is popular across Latin America and in the Caribbean. However, there is no similar product available in the wider U.S. market. (A close cousin might be Fry Sauce, very popular in parts of the U.S. and around the world, where it is considered a staple condiment on the table.)
If you don’t like the mayochup name, Heinz is taking suggestions for alternative names. Maybe ‘ketchannaise’ will catch on instead!
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the four primary marketing strategies: market penetration, market development, product development, and diversification.
- Show information about mayochup:
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/HeinzKetchup_US/status/984133260216332302
- Mayochup news video: https://youtu.be/C-ZYv-TDh3Y
- Which strategy is Heinz using for this product? Why?
- Divide students into teams. Have each team select one of the four different strategies and explain why that strategy could be used to market mayochup.
- Have each team determine the marketing mix (4Ps) to support their strategy choice.
- Debrief the exercise.
Source: Schmidt, S. (13 April, 2018). Heinz promotes its new ‘mayochup’ and sparks an international controversy. Washington Post.