Fans of the hazelnut spread Nutella are very happy right now – at least they are if they live in or are visiting Chicago. While the company has often had pop-up stores in locations, it now has its first permanent café located on Michigan Avenue opposite Millennium Park in Chicago. This is the first restaurant that is owned and operated by the company, but it surely will not be its last.
Customers enter the store through a Nutella jar-shaped door, with light fixtures shaped like hazelnut flowers, and waves on the ceiling. The new café has a specialty menu of food items that demonstrate the ways in which the beloved spread can be used. Picture (and smell) warm grilled baguettes with Nutella, roasted hazelnut and blueberry granola with yogurt, along with other dishes including salads, Paninis, and more.
The company view the new café as both a revenue stream as well as a prominent advertisement for the many qualities of Nutella spread. While other cafes are being considered in various locations, none have been formally announced.
Are you hungry yet?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss favorite foods. Any Nutella lovers in the room?
- Discuss how food companies are expanding their reach in various ways (ex: pop-up cafes, Wienermobile, etc.)
- Show the Nutella Web site: https://www.nutella.com/en/us
- Show the Nutella Café Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/NutellaCafeChicago
- Ask students their opinion of the new café. How does this fit into an integrated marketing campaign.
- Divide students into teams. Have each team select a favorite food and come up with a similar way in which marketing could be expanded into consumer experiences.