Amazon continues to move beyond its digital roots and into the physical world. This time, it’s the “Treasure Truck” – a delivery vehicle for daily deals that drives around neighborhoods in Seattle. Amazon compares the Treasure Truck to the neighborhood ice cream truck, brining joy, fun, laughter, and deals to different neighborhoods. The truck – nicknamed Scout – is bedazzled with lights, signs, display cases, and music.
How does it work? First, you have to be located in Seattle as that is the only location currently in operation. Then, using the Amazon mobile app installed on your smartphone, you can see the products and deals on the truck, as well as get alerts about deals and locations. Next, buy the item using the app, and then drive to the listed pickup location. At the pickup location, Amazon employees are stationed in white tents next to the truck and they quickly deliver the order to you.
The deals are limited in quantity so buyers have to act fast!
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Poll students: What types of businesses are they used to seeing operating out of trucks?
- Bring up the Amazon Treasure Truck Web site: https://www.amazon.com/treasuretruck
- Show the video on the home page.
- This example can be used in multiple ways to determine marketing strategies, set SMART objectives, and more.
- Discuss setting SMART objectives (specific, measureable, achievable, realistic, and time-bound).
- Divide students into teams. Have each team develop five SMART objectives for the Treasure Truck.
- Discuss the objectives. How would the objectives change if a different strategy was used?
Source: GeekWire, CNET, New York Times