One of the best things about the end of the year is the opportunity it gives us to reflect on the past, while we prepare for the year ahead. In the spirit of reflection, Facebook released its summary of the world’s top moments and events that generated the most buzz in 2016.
Among the most shared events on Facebook’s history were the U.S. presidential election, politics in Brazil, Pokémon Go, Black Lives Matter, Rodrigo Duterte and Philippine presidential election, Olympics, Brexit, Super Bowl, David Bowie, and Muhammad Ali.
The top 10 moments of were measured by how frequently a topic was mentioned in Facebook posts made between January 1 and November 27, 2016. To put this list together, mentions were analyzed in an aggregated, anonymized way and then ranked to create a snapshot of the year on Facebook.
Which events did you follow and share?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the importance of market research. What are sources that can be used? Why is tracking trends important?
- Bring up the site and show the video: http://newsroom.fb.com/news/2016/12/facebook-2016-year-in-review/
- Divide students into teams and have each team examine a different Facebook topic.
- What are the trends from that topic?
- How can these trends be used to develop new products?
- Debrief the exercise by listing the ideas from each team.