It’s important for marketers to keep current on topics of interests and trends around the world. This research gives us a good idea of what people are thinking, and what they like and need. What did the world search for in 2016? Well, besides our usual searches for love and the meaning of life and how to tie a tie, the citizens of the world used Google’s search engine to keep current on topics including sports, celebrities, world events, food, entertainment, and more.
Google processes two-out-of-three Internet queries each day. These queries give marketers a good snapshot of trends around the world. In the U.S., top searches included Pokémon Go, iPhone 7, Donald Trump, Prince, U.S. elections, Olympics, Brexit, and more
Take a look – which of these topics did you search for in 2016?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Before showing the Google results, poll students as to what they think the top searches were in 2016. Why those topics?
- Next, show the Google site: https://www.google.com/trends/yis/2016/GLOBAL
- Discuss the importance of market research. What are sources that can be used? Why is tracking trends important?
- Divide students into teams and have each team examine a different Top 10 List topic. What are the trends from that topic?
- How can these trends be used to develop new products?
- Debrief the exercise by listing the ideas from each team.