Raise your hand if you have ever been on a diet. Now, raise your hand if you have ever been surprised to learn how many calories are in what you thought was a healthy meal!
The Center for Science in the Public Interest recently published its annual list of the most unhealthy restaurant meals with nine “winners” from appetizers, entrees, drinks, and desserts. Are you ready for this? Here are some of the top unhealthy meals:
• Whole Hog Burger (2,850 calories), Uno Pizzeria & Grill
• Jersey Mike’s Subs Giant Chipotle Cheese Steak (1,850 calories)
• Build Your Sampler (can reach 3,390 calories), Applebee’s
• Fried Chicken & Waffles Benedict (2,580 calories), The Cheesecake Factory
• Short Rib & Cheesy Mac Stack (1,910 calories), Dave & Buster’s
• Dessert Nachos (2,100 calories), Buffalo Wild Wings
There are lots of healthy options at many restaurants, but if you’re not careful, you could wind up eating one of these (and many more) unhealthy, calorie-laden, full of fat, meals.
Where do you want to go to eat tonight?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
1. Discuss eating habits. Poll students as to where they eat.
2. Show some of the unhealthiest meals:
3. Why is this an issue for the restaurant industry?
4. Next, show the Web site for the Center for Science in the Public Interest: https://cspinet.org/
5. Have students examine articles and information on the site. What surprised them?
6. Divide students into groups. Have each group select a restaurant chain and examine the restaurant’s menu for calories and other health issues. What are their findings?
7. What could restaurants do to address the issue of unhealthy meals? Does the restaurant industry have a social responsibility to consumers in regards to health?
Source: Chicago Tribune