More than one billion people view YouTube videos every day. That’s nearly one-third of all Internet users! And, every day, YouTube viewers watch hundreds of millions of hours of video – accounting for billions of total views.
What would happen if all that power could be harnessed to do more than just inform and educate, and also do good things with nonprofit groups? Well, the videos that are created can help raise money to support causes by using YouTube donation cards. The digital donation cards can be added for any U.S. 501(c)3 public nonprofit organization. And, one of the best parts is that Google will cover the processing fees of donations, enabling 100% of the donation to go directly to the nonprofit. When watching a video, a pop-up window shows up, and the viewer can click to donate, and then click to return the video.
What’s your favorite charity? Add it to your video and help increase donations.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Poll students: What are some of the nonprofit organizations that they know of or support?
- Discuss the challenges faced by nonprofits when raising funds. What are some of the traditional methods used by organizations to raise money?
- Show the YouTube videos: http://youtubecreator.blogspot.com/2016/01/transform-view-into-donation.html
- How-to video: https://youtu.be/tkHi0VRfjgU
- Want to know what organizations qualify for the program? Visit Guidestar’s directory of charities: https://www.guidestar.org/NonprofitDirectory.aspx
- Divide students into teams. Have team select a nonprofit and build a storyboard for a video.
Source: Brandchannel.com, YouTube