Marketing to businesses presents a different challenge than does marketing to consumers. Sure, the process and components are nearly the same, but because the size and length of purchases differ, so too do the campaigns and messages needed to promote sales of expensive equipment to businesses. Case in point: How does Caterpillar show the value of its heavy equipment to companies and communities?
In a new campaign from the company, Caterpillar vividly shows the power of a 252,000-watt generator when it is used to provide power to a remote Chinese village. In the short video titled “Lantern Festival,” the isolated community of Yuhu Village in China faced challenges in its annual celebration of Lantern Festival, a 2,000 year old tradition symbolizing prosperity and good fortune. While the town does have electricity enough to power homes, outside electricity is at a premium. Working with the Yuhu villagers, Caterpillar delivered its generator at 7,900 foot Jade Dragon Snow Mountain. When the power is finally switched on, the village lights up with happiness.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the differences in business-to-business marketing versus marketing to consumers.
- Show the Caterpillar video: http://youtu.be/SRaSBzfGwNk
- The behind the scenes video: https://youtu.be/u0ubTvDrcYs
- Discuss the key messages and purpose of the video in Caterpillar’s marketing programs.
- Divide students into teams. Have each team select a product that is sold to businesses and develop a marketing campaign that highlights the company/product abilities in a unique way.