We all know that different age cohorts are different from each other. Put a Baby Boomer, a Generation X, Generation Y, and Millennial in a room together and they will all act differently and have different values. Or will they? Maybe age is just a state of mind. Even a Baby Boomer can be young at heart, and a Millennial can be conservative and stodgy.
Take Pew Research’s quiz to find out just how much of a Millennial you and your students are. This quiz compares your answers with others from around the nation. Find out how young or old you really act. (P.S. – Tattoos count!)
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Have students access the survey on the Pew Web site: http://pewresearch.org/millennials/quiz/intro.php
- As the students get their scores, write them on a white board or sheet of paper. See who scores high and who scores low.
- Professors – give the quiz to your colleagues and assistants, too. Add your scores to the list.
- Group discussion:
- What are the important elements that differentiate the generations?
- What traits make Millennials unique from other age cohorts?
- What happens if you change some of your answers?
- How can these findings be used in marketing to this age cohort?
- Video report: Show the video report from Pew about the quiz and their research on Millenials: http://pewresearch.org/millennials/video/conference.php
- Additional information and interactive charts are available at: http://pewresearch.org/millennials/
(Source: Pew Internet Research Center)