Marketers recognize the importance of understanding demographics when deciding on target markets to pursue. Age is a significant factor as different generational cohorts have different tastes, aesthetics, expectations, and values. While different research firms may define the age cohorts slightly differently, the most-often cited years for Gen Z are 1997 to 2012, making Gen Z between 10 and 25 years old. This group is just forming their tastes and solidifying their values. This of course leads them to favor certain brands and companies over others. But which ones are their favorites?
Since this group makes up a large portion of traditional college students, it is critical for marketers to understand which brands they favor and why. Their evolving preferences can indicate how companies should adapt to the new group of consumers.
A recent study done by Morning Consult, which fields tens of thousands of surveys around the world, measured Gen Z’s favorite brands. Data was gathered between May and August, 2022, with an average sample size of 2,031 Gen Z adults born between 1997 and 2004. Key insights and rankings include:
- Tech brands are tops with Gen Z. The most favorable brand is YouTube at 86% favorable impression.
- Major retailers such as Amazon, Target, and Walmart have high ratings hovering around 80% favorability.
- In particular, gaming brands hold strong sway, along with food and beverage brands.
- Top 10 most favorable brands: YouTube, Google, Netflix, Amazon, M&Ms, Walmart, Target, Doritos, KitKat, and Oreo.
- Top 10 with Gen Z men: YouTube, Gatorade, PlayStation, Google, Walmart, Netflix, Microsoft, Amazon, Nike, M&Ms.
- Top 10 with Gen Z women: YouTube, Google, Netflix, Target, M&Ms, Doritos, Amazon, Oreo, KitKat, Walmart.
Which brands are your favorites?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Poll students: What are their favorite brands? (Note: You might have students break into groups to arrive at a list of 20 brands.)
- Link to download the report from Morning Consult: https://go.morningconsult.com/2022-q3-pg8764a1-gen-z-favorite-brands-download.html
- Divide students into teams and have students analyze a data segment in the report. Teams can present their insights to the class.
- Have teams choose a brands that is NOT in the top (i.e., cars, household goods, consumer product companies).
- How can these findings be used to market weaker brands to Gen Z consumers?
Sources: Jackson, S. (2 October 2022). From Amazon to Skittles, a new survey of the top 20 brands among Gen Z adults shows tech and snack brands reign supreme with the demographic. Business Insider.; Morning Consult. Gen Z’s Favorite Brands.