In keeping with the season of love and Valentine’s Day, Canadian food company Dr. Oetker opened a pop-up pizzeria in Toronto that was entirely made of chocolate! Yes, you read this correctly; the whole restaurant is made of chocolate. Not only is the pizza made of chocolate, but so is everything else in the restaurant. This includes tables, walls, artwork, light fixtures, flowers, and even the pizza oven is made of chocolate. (Not sure why the oven doesn’t melt.)
If all this still isn’t enough chocolate for you, even a chocolate diamond was created! Heart In Diamond, a man-made diamond company, broke down a Cioccolato chocolate pizza into powder form, then placed it into a high-pressure, high-temperature oven for 120 days and created a half-carat diamond ring.
The unique chocolate dessert pizza has a chocolate crust and is topped with chocolate sauce, dark chocolate chips, milk chocolate shavings, and white chocolate chunks.
Feeling a sugar rush?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Poll students: What is the craziest thing they have ever seen made of chocolate?
- Show the video: https://youtu.be/9AbGf374dt0
- Show the pizza on the company Web site: http://www.oetker.ca/ca-en/our-products/ristorante-thin-crust/cioccolato/cioccolato.html
- Discuss the importance of clearly defining a target market.
- What is the target market for this product?
- Divide students into teams and have each team develop a profile of the target market. Include demographics, psychographics, behaviors, values, attitudes, etc.
- Based on the target market profile, what makes this product unique for these customers?
Source: Brandchannel.com (12 Feb., 2018). World’s first chocolate pizzeria is open through Valentine’s Day.