This week’s viral videos have a lot of variety. There are three videos from Apple, plus another for Beats, along with a variety of videos from Shell, Heathrow Airport, Porsche, PETA, and a nice return to the list of Samsung. The focus is on friends and family, as befitting the beginning of the holiday season.
There are three key factors for viral video success:
- Reaching the tastemakers.
- Building a community of participation.
- Creating unexpectedness in the video.
Regardless of the type of product or service, the country of origin, or the importance of the message, what matters is reaching the audience in a way the both entertains and informs. It might be YouTube, and more often now, it’s on Facebook and other social media. Check out this week’s top videos and discuss what makes them “go viral.”
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Bring up Ad Age’s weekly Viral Video chart: http://adage.com/article/the-viral-video-chart/apple-drake-goes-viral/306923/
- How effective is each video at getting the company’s brand and message across to viewers?
- In teams, have students design a viral video for a product of their choosing.
- What are the elements that are needed to go viral?
Source: Advertising Age, Visible Measures