Are men dirtier than women? Do men need their own brand of laundry detergent? The creators of FREY laundry detergent think so. With a clean looking black bottle and manly scents such as oak and musk, FREY is branding itself as “Detergent for Men” and hoping to get men, as well as the women who love them, to try the new product.
The product was originally started as a Kickstarter project in 2014 and was named “Real.” It quickly reached its funding goal and was subsequently rebranded as “FREY” after the launch. The rebranding features more sophisticated branding and messaging, as well as different, more distinctive art. The company sells the detergent online and uses a subscription-based model to keep clients soaped up and clean.
In keeping with a strong social profile, 10% of all profits are donated to charities such as Wounded Warriors, Breast Cancer, Leo DiCaprio Foundation, and more.
How dirty are you? How clean do you want to be?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Show Frey’s Web site: http://www.freyformen.com/
- Poll students: Who would buy this product? Why or why not?
- Divide students into teams. Have each team work on the target market profile for buyers of FREY.
- Discuss competition: What are the direct competitors for this product? Indirect competitors?
- Divide students into teams. Have each team compare FREY with a competitive product. What are the points of difference (what makes FREY different from competition)?
- Debrief the exercise.