Notice a lot of coughing and sneezing lately? It’s that time of year – winter, cold and flu season. And often, people are walking around without being fully aware that they even have a fever. What if we could tell that we had a fever and take action quickly?
In Poland, such a billboard exists for GSK’s Theraflu flu remedy. Located in a Warsaw shopping center, the outdoor billboard uses thermal imaging to detect whether a viewer standing near it has a fever. The billboard sign is equipped with a live thermo-scanner camera and can quickly tell the viewer’s temperature. If someone does have a fever, they can download a selfie showing their high temperature, thus proving to their boss (or professor) that they truly are sick.
And of course, they get a recommendation for Theraflu to help feel better, too.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the role of outdoor advertising in integrated marketing campaigns. What are the benefits? What are the risks?
- Show the Theraflu outdoor advertising video:
- Poll students: What are creative outdoor advertising campaigns that they have seen? Why were the campaigns memorable? Were they effective?
- Next, divide students into teams.
- Have each team select a common product bought by consumers, and design an outdoor campaign.
Source: Ad Age Daily, Creativity Online