Finally, a hoverboard that really flies! Ever since the 1985 movie “Back to the Future,” we have longed to use real hoverboards to get us from place A to place B. Think about it – no car or bike, no pedaling or gas, just our own personal hoverboard cruising over the roads.
The wait is finally over with Arca Board Hoverboard from Arca Space Corp. Retailing at $19,900, the board hovers one foot above the ground and can travel for up to six minutes at 12.5 mph. Instead of magnetic levitation, the innovative product uses 36 electric ducted fans (EDF) to generate 272 horsepower. With built-in stabilization platform, it can carry 245 pounds for three minutes, and up to 176 pounds for six minutes. It can ride across any type of road, terrain, or water.
The board recharges in six hours with a standard charger, or buy the ArcaDock charger for $4,500 to recharge the board in only 35 minutes. The board has a stabilization system that can be controlled with either your body or smart phone.h
Back to the future? Nope. It’s forward to the future!
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the problems with transportation today – cars, busses, trains, planes, etc. What types of personal transportation would students like to see in the near future?
- Show the Arca Board Hoverboard video:
- Bring up Arca’s Web site: http://www.arcaspace.com/en/arcaboard.htm
- Discuss the target market for this hoverboard. What are concerns students have about the product?
- How might this product be distributed?
- Have teams of students develop a promotional plan for the hoverboard.
Source: Manufacturing Business Technology, CNN