Quite honestly, I don’t know why it has taken so long to produce a hoverboard. We first got glimpses of the possibility in the movie “Back to the Future.” But then, nothing more about hoverboards for years and years. Until now… Automotive company Lexus has finally produced a working hoverboard.
Named “Slide,” the prototype product is a concept-test and will, unfortunately, not be sold or mass-produced. The Lexus hoverboard is about building the car brand’s character for the next generation of drivers – youthful, hip, and cutting-edge.
But, the board is real and hovers and slides above the ground with ease. Gas from liquid nitrogen is used to cool the hoverboard’s superconductors and magnets. Battery life is short at only 10 minutes. But who cares – the future is finally here.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Start this exercise with any one of the following videos:
- How is this product a part of Lexus’ branding?
- What is the typical Lexus target market? Will the hoverboard impact a new target market?
- Poll students: Should this product be commercialized?
- Divide students into teams. Have each team work on a marketing plan for Slide.
Source: Brandchannel.com, Ad Age Daily, Manufacturing Business Technology, other news sources.