YouTube posts a daily trends map based on demographics as reported by its account holders. Rankings are based on the number of views and can be separated by age, gender, and location. Through the aggregated data, YouTube Trends show us the most popular video in real time and gives ideas about trends that are developing within the YouTube viewing community. The map is a visual representation of the most viewed videos over the past 24 hours across the U.S.
In last month’s YouTube trend article, we looked at the 13-17 year old category and saw top views were for Selena Gomez music (9 million views; top in 82 regions), followed by Best Vines of all times (2 million views; top in 80 regions). This month, we looked at the 18 – 24 year olds and saw both males and females watching Kanye West’s conversation with Caitlynn Jenner. The video is top in 135 regions (91%) with a message that clearly resonated with Millennials.
What are you watching?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Poll students: What are the YouTube videos they watch the most?
- What videos do they think are more popular for men vs. women? By various age groups?
- Bring up the YouTube trends map: http://www.youtube.com/trendsmap
- Divide students into teams. Have each team select a specific target market and geography and view the most popular videos in that area.
- Discuss how this information can be used by marketers.