Branding is an incredibly valuable part of a company’s portfolio. Companies strive to get logos and products placed in unexpected places. While we are now used to seeing brands promoted in movies and television shows, companies have to do more surprising placements to get our attention. Enter McDonald’s “lifestyle collection” of Big Mac- themed items available for purchase online.
Big Mac is the most popular hamburger in Sweden, and McDonald’s sponsors the Swedish Alpine and Cross Country Ski Team. As part of the sponsorship, thermal underwear carrying Big Mac icons was produced for the team members. Now, the collection has been expanded to include such items as Big Mac wallpaper, Big Mac sheets, Big Mac raincoat, Big Mac Wellington boots, and a Big Mac dog coat.
No word yet on what seeing the Big Mac picture everywhere does to one’s appetite for burgers.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss product placement and branding.
- Divide students into teams. Have each team list the product placements they can remember.
- Show the Big Mac Shop Web site:
- Divide students into teams and assign each team an iconic brand. Have the team develop a series of products using the brand, logo, or product image.
- Have each team present its product set, and then have the class vote on which products best represent the brand and have the opportunity to increase awareness or sales.
Source: Ad Age Daily