How many times each day do you charge your cell phone battery? And, how long does it take to do this? Like most of us, the answers are probably “too many” and “too long.” And, the more we depend on cell phones for common, everyday activities, the more frustrating it is when the phone battery dies at critical moments.
With a solution for this vexing problem is an Israeli company named StoreDot. The company has developed a prototype phone battery that can be recharged in 30 seconds! The company didn’t set out to develop the product; it found the technology while researching treatments for Alzheimer disease. Using ground-breaking technology based on the discovery of self-assembled nanodots of biological origins, the nanodots are the core of several innovations that relate to smart phones, TVs, energy storage devices, bio-medicine, and more.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Start by showing the video of the product:
- The company’s Web site is at http://www.store-dot.com/
- Discuss the various promotional tactics that can be used for launching a new product.
- Have students come up with tactics and list all the tactics on the white board (ex: billboards, print, direct mail, etc.).
- Divide students into groups to work on this exercise.
- For this product, have each team select three different tactics. Explain why the tactic was selected and how it will be used.
- Debrief by putting together the entire suggested lists on the white board. As a final step, have the entire class vote on the top three tactics to use.
Source: Manufacturing business technology, CNN Money