The only mystery about this new application is why in the world did it take so long? Gamers have been waiting for an app like this one for a long time!
The new app from Pizza Hut is for Xbox gamers who do not want to break from their video game to pick up a phone for necessary sustenance. This app lets gamers order a pizza via their Xbox 360 through using options such as voice input, the game controller, or Kinect movements. Why this app? Gamers around the world love pizza, making this a natural application for pizza companies.
While pizza-ordering apps are not a new concept, the Pizza Hut app takes the idea to a new level by having celebrity endorsements from pro gamers. To launch the app, Pizza Hut gave 15% discounts to first-time purchasers during the first two weeks after product launch. Other companies won’t be far behind with new applications targeted at the lucrative gamer market. What else could a gamer want?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the characteristics of a target market of video game players. What are the demographic and psychographic aspects?
- Show the YouTube video about the product: http://youtu.be/6xOuK4rketM
- Are there other products that could be sold in a similar way?
- Divide students into teams.
- Have each team list 20 other products that could be sold using an app on Xbox.
- Have each team do a competitive analysis of the pizza industry. Examine the leading companies, revenue, products, scope, employees, pricing, promotion, etc.
- How effective are discounts? What else could Pizza Hut to promote this new application?
Source: Brandchannel.com, 4/24/13