Rental companies have always been popular with consumers. After all, renting is usually cheaper than buying, and options can be tried without risk and a large financial commitment. We rent cars, movies, books, music, tools, trucks, and more. But what about more personal items – such as men’s clothes? Not so much – at least until now.
A new company named Tie Society is taking clothing rental into a new direction; it offers a subscription service for renting men’s ties. For a monthly fee, men can join the club, select ties, rent, wear, return, and repeat – changing their look as easily as they change a movie. It offers instant access to top designers’ men’s furnishing, but without the hefty price tag.
The monthly subscription prices range from $10.95/month for one tie, up to $49.95/month for a selection of 10 different ties. With a broad collection of styles, patterns, materials, and color, there is sure to be a tie or two that appeals to any discriminating shopper. And it’s an automatic system – when one tie is returned, the next one on the list is sent automatically. With a hand-picked collection guided by fashion stylists, the client is sure to find something unique to wear.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Start by having students list all the rental businesses that they can think of (movies, books, etc.)
- Next, have students list all the items that they would like to see available as a rental. (Did anyone choose ties?)
- Have students view the Tie Society Web site: www.tiesociety.com.
- What are the pros and cons for this company?
- What are the challenges for this company?
- Have students design a promotional plan for the company.
- Have students design a new rental business for a product of their choice.
Source: Minneapolis Star Tribune, 7/31/12