As one of the top brands in the world, McDonald’s has long been part of the consumer experience, no matter what country we live in.
Placed at the sixth most valuable brand in the world by Interbrand’s 2011 Best Global Brands Report, the company was a brand valuation of approximately $35.6 Billion. With 33,000 restaurants and 1.7 million employees in 119 countries around the globe, the company’s reach is staggering. Yet despite all this diversity, the core of the brand and company remains the same no matter where it is located.
The global reach of McDonald’s is illustrated in this recent Canadian TV commercial, which answers the question, “What is the one brand that can make strangers friends?” No need to speak multiple languages to find a hamburger in far-off lands. Just say “McDonalds?” and find your way to the global restaurant.
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Divide students into groups. Have students list the brand attributes for McDonald’s
- Show the video: http://youtu.be/eldOBuYBqp4
- Discuss how the video portrays McDonald’s around the world.
- Teams: Have students view the company’s Web site: www.mcdonalds.com
- What are the differences in the company in other countries?
- What are the similarities of the company, no matter the country of operation?
- What other products or companies have this type of brand involvement and recognition?
- How do companies achieve this level of recognition?
Source: Brandchannel.com, 6/8/12