This activity is guaranteed to keep students engaged with the content.
Every week Advertising Age, in conjunction with company Visible Measures, publishes a list of the week’s top performing videos. The weekly chart highlights viral video ads that appear on online video sites. Each ad measures viewership of brand-syndicated video clips as well as social video placements that are driven by viewers around the world.
Visible Measures uses a measurement called True Reach™ to quantify the total audience that has been exposed to a viral video campaign, no matter where the campaign videos travel online. The measurement combines data from brand-driven seeded video placements with results from community-driven viral video placements – spoofs, parodies, mashups, and more.
There are three key factors required to achieve viral video success:
- Reaching the tastemakers
- Building a community of participation
- Creating unexpectedness in the video
Check out this week’s top videos at http://www.visiblemeasures.com/adage
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Bring up Ad Age’s weekly Viral Video chart: http://www.visiblemeasures.com/adage
- Have students examine how the ads are measured by Visible Measures.
- Divide students into teams. Have each team select an ad on the top video chart and analyze the ad.
- What is unusual?
- Who will it interest?
- What is the key message?
- How effective is the ad at getting the company’s brand and message across to viewers?
Source: Advertising Age – weekly update each Thursday morning