The year 2020 was long and challenging for all of us. Sure, 2020 had a lot of down moments, but on the whole we met the challenges and made the most of it. So, we’ve all earned a little time to relax, and no better way to do that than by viewing the top advertisements of the year.
Advertising surrounds us. And while ads can be annoying, people still search online to view compelling ads. Starting a new year is a good time to examine the winning campaigns from last year.
The most compelling advertisements and videos are ones that have a strong story, humor, inspiration, and excitement. They build a bond with the audience, and inspire thoughts and action. It’s not easy to create a short video that engages audiences and inspires them to share the video and view it more than once, so it is worth examining the top advertising videos of 2020. Here are the most viral brand videos posted to YouTube in 2020:
- Nike: Never too far down. You can’t stop us.
- Google Super Bowl: Loretta
- Hyundai: Smaht Pahk
- Clash of Clans: Lost & Crowned
- Turbo Tax Super Bowl: All people are tax people
- Apple: The whole working-from-home thing
- NFL Super Bowl: The next 100.
- GEICO Insurance: Aunt Infestation
- Hummer EV: Horsepower
- Michelob Ultra Super Bowl: Jimmy works it out.
Remember, these are the ads that people seek and choose to watch – a marketer’s dream! In total, the top 10 ads generated 470 million views and 1.3 million “likes.” (Note: Ads are determined by an algorithm that factors in organic and paid views, watch time, and audience retention.)
What’s your top ad from 2020?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the importance of branding and brand management. How do the videos fit into branding?
- Divide students into teams. Have each team analyze one of the following videos with respect to target market, key message, type of appeal, etc.
- All ads are available at: https://www.thinkwithgoogle.com/marketing-strategies/video/youtube-leaderboard-year-end-2020/
- When teams have completed this, have each team show the video and discuss their analysis with the rest of the class.
- What are the commonalities between the videos? What are the differences?
- What should other companies do to replicate the success?