Brand reputation is critical to organizations. And, while brand value and reputation can be measured in various ways, The Harris Poll Reputation Quotient (RQ) has evaluated the public’s perception of companies’ reputations since 1999. The study starts by surveying the consumers’ top of mind awareness of companies that have excelled, or failed. Then, the most visible companies are evaluated on six dimensions of attributes to determine a ranking. The six dimensions of corporate ranking are:
- Social responsibility
- Product and services
- Vision and leadership
- Emotional appeal
- Financial performance
- Workplace environment
The annual study began with a nomination phase where 4,244 U.S. adults were asked:
- Of all the companies that you’re familiar with or that you might have heard about, which TWO – in your opinion – stand out as having the BEST reputations overall?
- Of all the companies that you’re familiar with or that you might have heard about, which TWO – in your opinion – stand out as having the WORST reputations overall?
In the ratings phase, an online survey asked 25,800 U.S. adults to rate two of the companies with which they were “very” or “somewhat” familiar. Approximately 300 ratings were collected per company.
The results are interesting.
|Top 10 – BEST||Bottom 10 – WORST|
3. Tesla Motors
5. Walt Disney Company
6. HEB Grocery
8. Publix Super Markets
|90. United Airlines
92. Goldman Sachs
96. The Trump Organization
97. Wells Fargo & Company
98. Weinstein Company
What is your opinion?
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Discuss the importance of branding.
- Poll students with the same two questions that Harris used: What two companies have the BEST reputation, and what two companies have the WORST reputation.
- Tally the results on the board and ask students to rate the top best and worst on the six attributes, using just their opinions and current knowledge.
- What are the results?
- Show the Harris Poll report: https://theharrispoll.com/reputation-quotient/#rq
- A video is available: https://tdameritradenetwork.com/video/77694950-7dfc-4ae3-bd25-86ab04d63406
Source: The Harris Poll, USA Today, other news sources