If ever we forget that there are distinct differences between generational cohorts, this month’s YouTube Trends Map really highlights the difference. Each month, we highlight recent YouTube trends, and each month the different groups (gender, age, and region) show different preferences. But, this month viewers really showed a difference in the most-watched videos, skewing directly along age lines. The most popular video watched by 18 – 24 year olds (film trailer for “Furious 7”) was completely different than the video watched by 45 – 54 year olds (trick football play by Indiana State). What accounts for the dramatic difference, and how can marketers use this information?
YouTube posts a daily trends map based on demographics as reported by its account holders. Rankings are based on the number of views and can be separated by age, gender, and location. Through the aggregated data, YouTube Trends show us the most popular video in real time and gives ideas about trends that are developing within the YouTube viewing community. The map is a visual representation of the most viewed videos over the past 24 hours across the U.S
Group Activities and Discussion Questions:
- Poll students: What are the YouTube videos they watch the most?
- What videos do they think are more popular for men vs. women? By various age groups?
- Bring up the YouTube trends map: http://www.youtube.com/trendsmap
- Divide students into teams. Have each team select a specific target market and geography and view the most popular videos in that area.
- Discuss how this information can be used by marketers.